Aaaaaaaand we've hit the big TWO. As in, Olivia Hope is 2 years old and how in the HECK did I get a two year old? For YEARS I would have said I wasn't a baby person and then after Jaxson and infertility and everything I was so desperate to be a mom I kinda forgot about the non-baby-person thing.
Now I don't have a baby anymore. I have a toddler and I want to amend my previous statement. I'm not a toddler person. BUT. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY love MY toddler.
But she's still 2.
Honestly, she's hysterical. I mean, some of my friends with kiddos coming up on 2 are mourning the baby months and are ready to have another. Not me. I think every new thing Liv does is better than the last thing she did.
Except. Well, she's still 2. So let's start with the not-as-stellar stuff. Like:
1. She's taken to throwing things when she's not happy. And we're really trying to not pick up after her but have her learn first of all, not to throw, and second of all, that she has to pick up whatever she threw. But ya'll know that's an imperfect and lengthy learning curve so basically the bottoms of my feet are bruised and beaten from stepping on said thrown items. sigh.
2. She's a screamer. She screams when she's happy but more often she screams when she's angry. And when she doesn't get her way. Or when she's been told no. Or when she wants to watch Peppa and I haven't been fast enough with the remote. sigh.
3. Why didn't anyone tell me baby-proofing your house is not for when they're babies? I thought you baby-proofed when they start crawling and toddling about learning to walk so they don't fall into stuff. Now I know. It should be called toddler-proofing and it's for when she falls behind the TV while I'm in the shower. Or when she climbs up the front of the microwave cart for whatever she thinks she needs off the top.
C'est la vie.
And now for the stellar stuff:
1. Girlfriend knows how to run a ruse to get you out of the way so she can steal your chair. It's unreal. She'll bat her eyes at you and say please and when you get up to find out what it is that she's asking so nicely for she cuts left, runs around you and straight up steals the recliner.
2. She's. So. Ticklish.
3. I love hearing her learn new words. Like "mouf" for mouse. And Two. Now that she IS two she's been saying the word two a lot more. She so chatty (TOTES like her momma that way) there's a sort of nonsense bunch of sounds she makes before she says an actual word you'd recognize...but I absolutely love trying to figure out what she's trying to tell me because she's trying so hard to get me to understand.
4. or funny...sometimes she won't say the word but instead uses a sound. Like water...she won't say the word water. She has a very specific sound for that. And she won't say the word monkey...she makes the sound a monkey makes when she refers to them.
5. She LOVES to be outside. She digs in the dirt in a large basin I used to plant flowers in. Now it's for digging, naturally. She had swimming lessons this spring and she really loves the water. Yesterday I bought her a tiny swimming pool for the yard and I have a feeling it's going to be a major hit. She loves stomping all over my ground cover in the front yard, squishing bugs, blowing bubbles and playing with sidewalk chalk.
6. She's got a major crush on our friend Max who is about to graduation high school. I've been friends with Max's parents since college and remember when he was born...so to have him be so grown up now and playing so well with Liv is adorable. Last night at youth group, Max's little sister came through the door first and she shot up and ran towards her but immediately kept going past her looking around the corner for Max. She knew he was coming. And she knew he'd hide behind the wall in our living room and jump out and scare her. She runs and dives into the couch and gives Max a great workout. But it wears her out before bed so I'm grateful.
Oh my heart. I love you so much and I can't believe you're 2. sniff. They say it goes by fast. I had no idea just how fast. xoxoxo